“Every year is better than the last one…!” exclaimed the elf of Thessaloniki and opened the old Scrooge’s chest. And suddenly exquisite Christmas melodies, furious dancers, goblins and witches of fairytales, fir trees and boats, carols, “melomakarona” and “diples”, stars and shiny ornaments, reindeers, sleighs and Santa Clauses, gifts and countless surprises came out, unfolding and unrolling on the tremendous turn of the city.
Thessaloniki is ready for the most beautiful celebration of the year, a series of events that come from … all around for the visitors of the festive days and all those who chose to visit #XmasThessaloniki!
The Region of Central Macedonia, the Thessaloniki Tourism Organisation, the Municipality of Thessaloniki and all the Municipalities of the town complex have already scheduled their Christmas events that aim to make Christmas days and nights in Thessaloniki unique. The YMCA, the Goethe Institute, the Thessaloniki Symphony Orchestra, the Thessaloniki Concert Hall, the Youth Symphony Orchestra of Greece, the Noesis Science Center, the Children’s Museum, the KIDOT Christmas Planet and the Mediterranean Cosmos add with their own Christmas events, more jubilee glitter in Northern’s Greece Christmas Wonderland.
The visitors should have in mind that the most glamorous days of the merrymaking celebration are the next two weekends and the three days (Saturday-Sunday-Monday) before Christmas (December 22-23-24, 2018) and before New Year’s Eve (December 29-30-31, 2018).
The exquisite adornment of the city promises us the most romantic strolls around. It is impossible to exclude from them the magnificent bird-eye views of Aristotle Square, the beautiful Agias Sophias’ pedestrian shopping street with the Christmas lights shimmer above heads, the “Falling Star” at Filikis Eterias Str., the bright circled decoration at Mitropoleos Str. and the seafront illuminated by modern light installations.
From festive bazaars overflowing with Christmas cheer to dazzling theatrical spectacles and family thrills plus recipes to sweet the holiday season – there’s enough Yuletide action going on in Thessaloniki this year to jingle all your bells and promise you the most impressive Christmas…ever!
In this year’s glamor, the center of attention is -who else- kids! You should not miss Thessaloniki Christmas Flea Market, a three-day (December 21-23, 2018) Christmas celebration that hosts the biggest festival for the child, at the port of Thessaloniki and also “Asterocosmos”, the fairytale Christmas land, illuminated by 5,700,000 twinkle lights at Thessaloniki International Exhibition Centre.
Cultural Center of the Region of Central Macedonia:
On Christmas Eve (December 24, 2018) the Cultural Center of the Region of Central Macedonia will host the most entertaining Christmas party with stilts, carols, Christmas songs, puppetry, music, piano, vocal ensembles, dancing and many activities for the young and the old ones! The Christmas Street Festival will take place at Pavlou Mela Park, in front of the Cultural Center “Alexandros” (Ethnikis Amynis 1), across the White Tower, from 12:00 until 17:00.
Municipality of Thessaloniki: For a whole month, the city center will host Christmas music shows, artists, elves and…many many more at Aristotelous Square. The 20-meter Christmas tree, Santa Claus’s house, the House of Elves, the Pastry Shop for Christmas treats and the music scene on December 24, 2018 and December 31, 2018 form the backdrop for this Christmas’s story.
• On Christmas Eve (December 24, 2018) at 16.30, the festive celebration includes carols and Christmas songs from the Hellenic Police Orchestra and at 5:30 pm, a live concert with the local bands: “Injoy”, “My Excuse”, “The Gang”.
• On New Year’s Eve (December 31, 2018) the heart of festive Thessaloniki will beat at Aristotelous Square with the concert of Stavros Bairamis (8 pm), Myronas Stratis and Elisavet Spanou (9.30 pm) and “Ble” (11 pm). Thessaloniki will ring in the New Year with a massive firework show.
Thessaloniki Concert Hall
• December 7, 2018: The Children’s Youth choir of Thessaloniki Friends of Music Society’ will present popular Christmas songs from around the world, as well as favorite compositions accompanied by a piano.
• December 12, 14, 15,16, 2018: 100% Disney in Concert: Around the World. An audiovisual spectacle that suits the Christmas spirit will be waiting for young and old audiences at Thessaloniki Concert Hall. Disney in Concert: Around the World includes musical pieces from classic and favorite Disney films, performed in a unique way by the Thessaloniki State Symphony Orchestra, while at the same time the corresponding scenes from the films will be screened, bringing to life those memories in all of us.
• December 19, 2018: Freakadella, the witch who hated Christmas carols. The witch Freakadella Jarzuella Salmonella Nastine was very mean. Very, very mean. So mean, in fact, that she hated everything that was good, especially… Christmas carols. However, the children can enjoy a wonderful adventure and have the power to transform her.
• December 21, 2018: Nello Salza – Duo Aurelio & Paolo Pollice: Nello Salza is known as “the Italian Cinema Trumpet”, having recorded more than 400 musical soundtracks for films by playing a solo trumpet. The program he will present along with the piano duo Aurelio & Paolo Pollice includes works by Italian composers of the 19th century.
Municipality of Kalamaria
December 8 and December 11, 2018: The Municipality of Kalamaria welcomes Christmas celebrations with the Christmas concert of the Philharmonic Orchestra of the Municipality of Kalamaria on Saturday, December 8, 2018 (8.30 pm) at “Melina Merkouri” Municipal Theater. The concert will be led by conductor Yiannis Koukas. On Tuesday (December 11,2018 at 8 pm), the Festive Meeting of Choirs will be held again at the Municipal Theater with the participation of the Mixed Choir of the Municipality, the Choral Groups of the church of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary and the Youth Orchestra of Megali Panagia of Halkidiki.
YMCA: “Christmas of Scrooge”(December 2-30, 2018): Puppet and Shadow Theater-Christmas Children’s Events (for Toddlers and Primary School Students).
Bazaar of Love -Youth Symphony Orchestra of Greece (December 9,2018)
The Youth Symphony Orchestra of Greece is organizing a Christmas Charity Bazaar of Love on Sunday, December 9, 2018 from 10am to 10pm. Every half hour, starting from 13:30, choirs from all over Greece, musical ensembles, bands, ballets and guest artists will bridge the music and the art of the Bazaar of Love.
*Part of the funds will be donated to the Down Syndrome Association.
Children’s Museum of Thessaloniki:
• December 16, 2018 “The Elves Workshop”. A Christmas lab looking for helper-elves.
• December 23,2018 “Seeking Santa Claus.” The mystery of Santa’s disappearance and the mission to save Christmas.
Municipality of Neapoli-Sikes
Christmas events will last until Friday, December 21, 2018 and will offer a multicoloured variety of choices for all tastes and for all ages that highlight tradition and culture.
December in Noesis / Thessaloniki Science Center and Technology Museum: The Star of Christmas – movie at the Planetarium, Scientist from …a fireplace! – Workshop of experiments and ornaments, Christmas with “Peiramatistas”! – Open construction workshop, chorus of 1st Primary School & American Agricultural School, avanti maestro! – Musical performance etc.
Christmas Wish at Mediterranean Cosmos: Every day and throughout the month more than 150 events will take place in a charming Christmas environment.